Winner of a special award from the National Science Foundation
With a foreword from Steve Blank, Talking to Humans is a practical guide to the qualitative side of customer development, an indispensable skill for vetting and improving any new startup or innovation. This book will teach you how to structure and run effective customer interviews, find candidates, and turn learnings into action.
Given that we all communicate with people every day, you would think that talking to potential customers would be an easy task. Unfortunately it's not. After watching countless entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs struggle with customer development concepts, we decided to put together this short, practical guide.
The book takes you through the story of two entrepreneurs doing customer discovery for the first time, and then proceeds to give you concrete tactics, tools and examples to answer key questions such as:
- Who do you need to learn from?
- What do you need to learn from the market?
- How do you find the right people to interview?
- How can you ensure an effective session?
- How do you turn observations into decisions and actions?
- How can you avoid the most common mistakes people make?
If you are interested in learning how to run effective experiments, check out the sequel Testing with Humans.